First off, we want to say thank you. If this is going to be your first visit to a church, then we’re really honoured that you’ve chosen to visit St John’s. If you’re joining us from another church, or you’re ‘doing the tour’ and seeing what Christianity has to offer, then we’re also excited that you’ll be sharing some time with us.
Jesus was very clear that his invitation was for all, so we want to make sure you feel that St John’s is a place where you can come with anticipation, and leave feeling like you’ve met with God during the service.
We’re a friendly and informal church, so the simple advice if you’re a first time visitor is just turn up and give us a try. That’s it! There’s no pressure to say everything or sing anything. If you just want to come along and see what church looks like at St John’s, then that’s fantastic.
However, if you do want some top tips, here’s our best;
- Tell us you’re visiting Yes, we know it’s a bit scary to admit it’s your first time in church, but we’ve all been there once. Let one of the people who are there to greet you and give you the weekly information sheet know you’re a visitor. They’ll be able to answer your questions, and if you want, introduce you to someone to sit with during the service.
- Stay for coffee We serve drinks after our first morning and our evening service. Join us for a drink and have a chat with us about how you found the service. This is also a good way to begin getting to know people who come regularly.
- Come to a Welcome Lunch, or join our Way In Course We have regular events for new visitors, and a specific course designed for people thinking about making St John’s their regular place of worship. It’s a good chance to meet some of the staff, and other members of the congregation.
- Let us know how it goes We’re not a perfect church, but we are eager to do our very best for new visitors. We’d love to hear how your first visit goes, particularly if there’s anything we could have done better. If you’ve gone away with unanswered questions, then let us hear them as well.
- Try our different services We have a several different types of service, so if the first one you come to doesn’t quite suit, why not pop back and give one of the other times a try?
Churches are all about the people in them, and we’re hoping that St John’s might be a place you can spend time. We can’t wait to meet you, and we’re already looking forward to saying hello.